Sunday, June 2, 2013

Kiev


My home away from home for the next 3 months would be Kiev, Ukraine. What can I say about Kiev? It is really hard to live here. So very different than America, which I thought I was prepared for, but I thought wrong. Everything is in Russian here-- a language I can't speak-- Everyone speaks Russian here -- even though I was clearly told that tons of people spoke English--. America is so different in so many ways but the biggest challenge for me is the friendliness of people. In America, in most places you go, people smile or say hello or something and here that is not the case. I miss that sense of community that I get in America. I crave it. So, next time you find yourself complaining about someone or something just remember that there are a million things to be grateful for. Smiling at others is one.

Although it has been a struggle I have found some places here to be grateful for. And every day there is something I can find that reminds me to be happy. There is truly beauty wherever you go in the world; you just have to look for it. It's there. Find it.


The other day I had a very hard morning and got on the bus in a mood. Next thing I know I hear English. The song they are playing on the bus is in English. They played "We are the Champions" by Queen. Day made right there. Later that day, 2 drunk guys in two completely different places decided to sing to me and my friends. It provided us with a little entertainment and some laughs. And best of all... We found a Mexican place in Ukraine! Chips and salsa never tasted so good.




No comments:

Post a Comment